Skip to main content

International Teleworking

In accordance with the Human Resource requirements for Flexible Work Arrangements for University Employees, a teleworking request eform should be initiated through Connect Carolina Self-Service only if a UNC-Chapel Hill employee will be working outside of the United States. This request needs to be submitted and approved prior to the employee engaging in any work, regardless of the duration of the arrangement. UNC-Chapel Hill employees wishing to telework abroad should first check the UNC-Chapel Hill Human Resources webpage on Flexible Work Arrangements for University Employees.

International Travel

UNC-Chapel Hill travelers who are traveling internationally on University business are required to have their travel approved prior to departure. Travelers should follow the instructions appropriate for their status on the UNC Global Affairs Travel Policies page. For questions, contact Jill Wilhelm, Office of the Vice Provost for Global Affairs, at

Travelers should also check UNC Global Travel and Operations and the website for updates and warnings related to their destination, information on travel insurance and other helpful resources.

Customs Note

The U.S. Foreign Trade Regulations often require UNC travelers to file an Electronic Export Information (“EEI”) to the U.S. Census Bureau when shipping or hand-carrying any UNC-owned items internationally. Particularly, EEI fillings are required when shipping or hand-carrying UNC-owned items (including laptops and smart devices) that fall into one of the two categories:

  1. The total value of the HTS/Schedule B code* applied to your item(s) is at $2,500 or higher, or
  2. The items are destined to Russia, China or Venezuela, regardless of the equipment’s valuation.

The Schedule B Look-up tool can be used to help you find the appropriate code. For certain commercial items, the vendor/manufacturer may be able to provide this code (e.g. Microsoft Schedule B Lookup)

Please review the EEI Workflow, an additional resource that explains if an EEI is needed. If an EEI is needed, for more information please review Electronic Export Information (EEI) Filing.

Travelers should also make sure to review the UNC Global webpage for Legal and Compliance Considerations for Global Travel and the UNC-Chapel Hill Export Compliance Guide for International Travel for the various compliance-related considerations when traveling internationally.

Please Note: If you are traveling to any one of the following countries, contact the Export Compliance Office for help in determining your export license requirements:

  • Afghanistan
  • Belarus*
  • Burma
  • Cambodia
  • Central African Republic
  • China (PRC)
  • Cuba*
  • Cyprus
  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Eritrea
  • Haiti
  • Iran*
  • Iraq
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Nicaragua
  • North Korea*
  • Russia*
  • Somalia
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan
  • South Sudan
  • Syria*
  • Ukraine*
  • Venezuela
  • Zimbabwe

*For comprehensively sanctioned countries, export control licenses are commonly required by the U.S. Federal Government. For this reason, any travel to comprehensively sanctioned countries must receive prior review from the export compliance office.