The vision of the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is to foster success among postdoctoral scholars today that will enhance their professional endeavors tomorrow. Our mission is to enhance, support, and promote postdoctoral training at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and help to prepare postdoctoral scholars for successful research careers. OPA serves postdoctoral scholars, faculty, and human resources professionals in all disciplines, schools, and colleges across the University.
- To advocate for postdoctoral scholars and the greater postdoctoral scholar community
- To educate postdoctoral scholars and the campus community about University policies, postdoctoral rights, and other concerns related to postdoctoral scholars
- To build effective career management skills and develop the professional skills postdoctoral scholars need both in and outside the lab
- To support faculty mentors in the recruitment, mentoring, and professional development of productive postdoctoral scholars
- To collaborate with campus services to address the issues, concerns, and needs that are unique to the postdoctoral scholar population
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is committed to building and supporting a culturally diverse and inclusive intellectual community for all postdocs at the University of North Carolina. Through our policies, practices and services we support UNC’s Diversity and Inclusion mission statement, “to build understanding across differences, create conditions to ensure the equitable educational and social benefits of diversity, and cultivate a welcoming and supportive environment…”