Come talk to us! We love to hear what you are working on and helping UNC’s researchers and scholars develop strategies for pursuing funds for specific projects.
Private consultations are available to both faculty and postdocs. Please make appointment requests at least 24 hours in advance of your preferred appointment (embed link to Contact Us consultation form). We make every effort to accommodate your preferred time and will confirm your appointment via email.
Office Hours: Faculty and postdocs are welcome to drop by our weekly, virtual office hours:
- Faculty inquiries: Mondays 9:00–10:00 a.m.
- Postdoc inquiries: Tuesdays 9:00–10:00 a.m.
ORD hosts thematic workshops to support grantsmanship skill development and build community around research themes.
Virtual grantsmanship workshops (1 hour each) are open to offered monthly with rotating topics narrowing on selected pre-award topics in the areas of concept development, finding funding, proposal organization, and proposal writing. These workshops provide grantsmanship training to postdoc and faculty investigators of all levels to provide building blocks for successful, first-time submissions to new sponsors.
ORD convenes workshops around university and sponsor-specific research themes. These workshops are created ad hoc and are intended to bring together researchers from different academic silos around a central theme and/or funding opportunity.
Intramural Partners, Interest Groups and Team Creation for Strategic Initiatives
Our office identifies, tracks and disseminates strategic external research funding opportunities. For opportunities with high strategic value, we build teams that can address “grand challenge” questions. We foster collaboration across campus by building interest groups and providing structured support including:
- building custom SharePoint sites to provide a collaboration space,
- creating custom infoED-SPIN funding searches and alerts
- Disseminating relevant news from federal funders, and
- facilitating interest meetings around funding opportunities.
We invite user interested in joining the Research Development Community to visit the community’s collaboration site via SharePoint (content is onyen-protected).
Intramural and Extramural Partners
We foster the research community within UNC and facilitates relationships with regional and national partners and funding agencies. ORD:
- Promotes UNC’s relationship with federal funding sponsors and partners:
- Coordinates campus visits and facilitates relationships among researchers, program officers, and national laboratories.
- Encourages participation of UNC researchers in advisory roles to serve federal partners through Federal Advisory Committee nominations.
- Collaborates with UNC System schools and other North Carolina campuses.