The Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) is pleased to announce a new process and related guidance for identifying and managing Billable Per Unit (BPU) Projects.
BPU projects are defined as contracts that provide for an indefinite quantity of supplies or services rendered during a fixed period, not to exceed a funding ceiling (“up to” amount) or a price per supply/service (“per unit” amount), as specified in the agreement.
Departments are responsible for invoicing BPU projects throughout the project period. Several resources and processes have been put in place to aid departments in managing BPU projects. Key highlights are provided below and more details are available on the BPU Guidance document on the OSR Resources page.
Key Points about BPU Projects
- BPU Projects will receive a Ledger 6 PS Project ID Number (6xxxxxx)
- RAMSeS Billing Tab has a new field “Billable Per Unit (BPU)” and if checked, will define the project as a BPU
- BPU projects will be set up with a $0 budget
- Department invoices Sponsor directly
- Invoice Template and Deposit Memo are available in the new “Departmental Invoicing” section on the OSR Forms & Tools page
- Department will receive system-generated emails reminders to invoice upon project set up and through project closeout