Sponsor Prior Approval Required on Federal Contracts
As a reminder, Federal Contracts do not automatically apply the flexibilities outlined by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). Details regarding any contract and approvals for salary charges must be directed to the cognizant Contracting Officer.
In addition, the Implementation Guidance for Section 3610 of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act also provides direction for reimbursement to federal contractors for employee-leave related costs that are made necessary by the hardship caused by COVID-19. Contractors may receive reimbursement if they can document that the employees:
- if not for the COVID-19 pandemic, would work on a site approved by the Government pursuant to the contract(s) under which the claimed costs are sought;
- could not perform work on such Federal Government approved site due to closures or other restrictions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic;
- were unable to telework or otherwise work remotely under the applicable contract(s) during the COVID-19 pandemic;
- received paid leave for some period between January 31, 2020, and September 30, 2020, and
- were paid leave at rates calculated based on the rates the contractor would have paid the employees to whom it is providing paid leave, but for the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are an awardee of a federal contract and need to request reimbursement, please reach out as soon as possible to Office of Sponsored Research. Your Sponsored Projects Specialist (SPS) will review and submit your request to the sponsoring Contracting Officer for prior approval.
University COVID-19 Resources
- NEW Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) COVID-19 Guidance
- UNC Research COVID-19 Coverage and Information for Researchers
- UNC Coronavirus Updates
For questions or further assistance, please contact ResAdminOSR@unc.edu.