In January 2022, the Fiscal Year 2022 Legislative Salary Increases (LSI) were implemented as retroactive payments for the applicable work period from July – December 2021. The Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) is providing information on the retroactive payment distribution, identifying impacts to sponsored projects, and including next steps for departments.
Retroactive Payment Distribution
Below are several key criteria for the distribution of retroactive LSI payments:
- Applicable work period of performance was July – December 2021
- Only processed on earning codes RRG (Retro Regular), RRF, ROT, RLO, R18, R19
- On sponsored projects, retroactive payments were distributed based on Project Status in ConnectCarolina:
- If the Project Status was in Reporting, Hold, or Closed, the retroactive payment posted to the department’s payroll suspense
- If the Project Status was Open or Ended, the retroactive payment posted to the project
- If the employee/personnel were no longer at the University at the time of this payment and/or funding sources were in Reporting, Hold, or Closed, the payment posted to the department’s payroll suspense
Personnel Subject to Sponsor Salary Caps
For personnel subject to NIH and/or other sponsor salary caps, retroactive payments were applied proportionally as listed in funding swaps for the July – December 2021 work period. Meaning, retroactive payments which should have entirely posted to cost-share were applied proportionally to the project if it was in Open or Ended status. These transactions should be reviewed and PAATs processed as necessary.
These projects will be reviewed as part of OSR’s closeout process, but if you need additional information on the specific projects impacted for your department, please contact OSRBilling@unc.edu. For all other questions related to LSI payments and/or PAATs, please contact Brian Bertlshofer firstname.lastname@example.org.