The National Institutes of Health (NIH) is accepting new and renewal applications for its Loan Repayment Programs that provide support to health professionals pursuing careers in biomedical and behavioral research. The application cycle is September 1, 2021 – November 18, 2021. In order to complete your application by the deadline, the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) requires a completed UNC Loan Repayment Program (LRP) Certification Form be submitted to our office by November 12 to certify your application.
NIH can repay up to $50,000 a year of qualified educational debt via six (6) extramural programs:
- Clinical Research
- Pediatric Research
- Health Disparities Research
- Contraception and Infertility Research
- Clinical Research for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds
- *New* Research in Emerging Areas Critical to Human Health (REACH)
Criteria of the Extramural Programs:
- Citizenship: applicants must be U.S. citizens (or U.S. national or permanent resident status)
- Qualifying Degree: Applicant must have an M.D., Ph.D., Pharm.D., Psy.D., D.O., D.D.S., D.M.D., D.P.M., D.C., N.D., O.D., D.V.M., or equivalent doctoral-level degree from an accredited institution
- Qualifying Educational Debt: The sum of your educational debt must equal at least 20% of your base salary from the institution supporting your research
- Qualifying Research: Applicant must commit at least two (2) years to conduct qualified research funded by a domestic nonprofit organization or U.S. federal, state or local government entity
- Domestic, nonprofit research funding – Your research must be supported by a domestic, nonprofit foundation, university, professional association, or other nonprofit institution, or a U.S. government agency (Federal, State, or local). A domestic foundation, professional association, or institution is considered to be nonprofit if it is exempt from Federal tax under the provisions of Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 501). NIH grants and university salaries are considered eligible funding. Your employment must be with a domestic, nonprofit institution
Refer to the NIH Loan Repayment Eligibility webpage for further guidance.
- Applicants may only submit one (1) LRP application to one (1) program per NIH fiscal year
- Applicants must devote > 50% effort to research for two (2) years (for new applicants) or one (1) to two (2) years (for renewals)
- Applicants who have no federal judgment liens against their property arising from a federal debt, even if the judgment is paid-in-full or satisfied
- Up to $50,000 of qualified student loan debt (including most undergraduate, graduate, and medical school loans) may be supported annually
- The loan is in addition to the institutional salary received for research
- Applications must be submitted no later than the last day of the submission deadline via the LRP online site by 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time Zone)
Please direct all questions regarding the NIH LRP to ResAdminOSR@unc.edu.