500.1 Federal and University Award Management Guidelines
Responsible Officer: Director
Responsible Unit: Award Management
Effective date: July 1, 2008
Last revised on: July 21, 2011
The University manages sponsored awards according to the mandated requirements of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-21, OMB Circular A-110, and the UNC Chapel Hill Cost Accounting Standards Board Disclosure Statement (DS-2) published by the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR).
OMB Circular A-21 mandates the federal guidelines applicable to allowable costs in research grants, contracts and cooperative agreements in colleges and universities nationwide. In conjunction with compliance to the Cost Accounting Standards provided in A-21, the DS-2, which is required by law, presents UNC Chapel Hill’s cost accounting practices in maintaining:
- Consistency in estimating, accumulating and reporting costs.
- Consistency in allocating costs incurred for the same purpose.
- Accounting for unallowable costs.
- Accounting period.
University faculty and staff involved with procuring and/or managing sponsored funding are required to abide by the standards presented in both documents.
Reason for Policy
This policy serves to inform researchers and research administrators at UNC Chapel Hill of the legal standards mandated by the federal government, to which faculty, staff, and students must adhere.
Procedures and Related Policies
Procedures regarding specific financial transactions that may occur in the lifetime of a sponsored research award are found throughout the policies of section 500.
OSR Research Tool Kits
Questions and concerns can be submitted online at Ask OSR or by using the OSR staff directory. Within RAMSeS, the “Speak to Someone” option assists in locating the staff member best suited to address project-specific issues.
1. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-21, Principles for Determining Costs Applicable to Grants, Contracts, and Other Agreements with Educational Institutions.
2. OMB Circular A-110, Uniform Administrative Requirements for Grants and Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals, and Other Non-Profit Organizations.
3. UNC Chapel Hill Cost Accounting Standards Board, Disclosure Statement (DS-2).
The policies in the Office of Sponsored Research Policies & Procedures Manual supersede any OSR policies, procedures and appendices previously included in the University Business Manual, a publication of UNC Chapel Hill’s Division of Finance.