Per National Institutes of Health (NIH), applicants applying to NIH funding opportunities with due dates on or after January 25, 2023 must use application forms and instructions for “FORMS-H.”
The primary change to the updated application forms is the addition of an “Other Plan(s)” attachment on the PHS 398 Research Plan and PHS 398 Career Development Supplemental forms as part of the implementation of the 2023 NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy (DMS policy). Applicants must attach the required DMS Plan in this new field in the FORMS-H application. Failure to adhere to these changes may result in your application being delayed or rejected.
Key Reminders for NIH FORMS-H
Helpful guidelines for submitting a new NIH application package:
- Ensure you are using forms with a Competition ID that includes “FORMS-H” for applications due on or after January 25, 2023.
- Determine if your proposed research is subject to the new DMS policy.
- Identify appropriate methods/approaches and repositories for managing and sharing scientific data.
- Develop your plan for managing and sharing scientific data; Submit this plan within the funding application or proposal.
- Estimate and request funds for data management and sharing activities if not already covered by the institution or other sources.
- Check all applicable application files in eRA Commons post submission.
For questions related to specific proposals, contact your department’s OSP Sponsored Projects Specialist or School of Medicine Sponsored Programs Office Grants Analyst.
For questions related to data management and sharing, submit a help request form for additional guidance. More information on proposing rates and other UNC resources for creating DMS plans are forthcoming.
For all other general inquiries, please contact SponsoredPrograms@unc.edu.