(last updated 12/21/2017)

How do I get access to view proposal/award data?

Backbone is a web-based utility that provides an infrastructure whereby departmental personnel are identified within RAMSeS (and other Research applications) by virtue of roles which have been assigned to them within Backbone by their departmental Research Contacts Role Manager (click here for more information on Backbone).

Where are the instructions?

Each page has a “help” button. This link will take you to the IPF Help web page designed to correspond to the various sections of the IPF.

What is a Financial Guarantee (LOG) and how do I submit one?

A Financial Guarantee, also referred to as a Letter of Guarantee (LOG), is the form departments utilize to request account numbers for proposals that they are certain will be funded. The steps to submit an LOG are:

  1. Log on to RAMSeS (http://ramses.unc.edu) with your ONYEN or SOM User ID
  2. Under Proposal dashboard select either:
    • My Proposals, if you personally created and submitted the proposal
    • Proposals Affiliated With or PI Certification Inbox, if you are listed on the Research Team
    • Dept. Approval Inbox, if you are an IPF Approver and wish to submit an LOG for a proposal that your department previously certified
  3. Depending on your option selection in Step 2, you will either select the tab labeled “Submitted Proposals” or “Previously Reviewed Proposals”
  4. Find and click on the proposal number of interest. (Shortcut-if you have a long list of proposals, you may hold down the “Ctrl” and “F” keys at the same time and type the proposal number in the Find window.)
  5. Select the tab named Financial Guarantee and click the appropriate links.

(Note- LOGs may only be submitted on proposals with the status of “Proposal Approved”

What if I cannot find the sponsor’s name on the list?

If the Sponsor is not listed, select “Organization Not Listed” at the bottom of the page. A new pop up window will appear allowing you to type in the name of the Sponsor.

What is a SNAP?

SNAP is an NIH acronym that stands for Streamlined Non-competing Awards Process. For more information on SNAP, please visit the OSR’s eRA Commons web page.

What happens after I submit the IPF?

Clicking “Submit Proposal” will start the following process:

  • the eIPF will be “locked” and can no longer be edited (except by the Admin Award Dept.)
  • the eIPF will be routed to all affiliated departments for review and concurrence; should any of these departments reject the eIPF you will be notified by email of the rejection and for what reason(s)
  • the PI(s) will be notified by email that they must certify the eIPF in RAMSeS
  • ultimately, the eIPF will arrive in OSR/SPO/OCT for final review and approval

Throughout these steps you, your PI, and any other contributing members listed on the eIPF will be able to track its review and approval status in RAMSeS.

Once all affiliated departments have approved the eIPF, you will receive an email indicating that it was successfully routed and received in OSR/SPO. If the proposal can be electronically submitted then no further action is required on your part. However, if the Sponsor requires any part of the proposal be submitted in paper copy, then any such copies, with original signatures as required, must be forwarded to OSR/SPO for a complete submission to be accomplished.

How are people notified that they need to approve/certify an eIPF?

Several emails are used to notify individuals of the status of a proposal and also what action is needed on their part. These emails are sent to people based on their role in the project (e.g. Lead Principal Investigator) as well as their role within a department (e.g. IPF approver). Click here to preview the emails that are sent by RAMSeS.

Who do I contact if I’m having any problems?

A direct “help” line (843-2594) staffed by a knowledgeable information specialist (not a phone message tree) will be available for any inquiries.

When I copy a proposal and put in new information, I get the message “Please specify parent project for this proposal,” but there is nowhere to enter this information?

Select “New” for Proposal type, then click “Save” at the bottom of the page. Now go back to the proposal type and select the correct proposal type. You should see a field named “Parent proposal” appear if you chose anything other than “New”.

How can I change my email address or phone number in RAMSeS?

RAMSeS uses the online Campus Directory (http://dir.unc.edu/) to populate the email address and phone number for a person. Users may update their email address by:

  1. Go to the Campus Directory Website
  2. Click “Update Entry” on the left side of the page
  3. Enter ONYEN and password
  4. If the email address is not in the drop down list, choose “Enter alternate address (below)”
  5. Click ” Save”. The changes should appear the next day in RAMSeS

In addition, the email and phone number fields are editable in RAMSeS, so you may change the IPF and then get it corrected in the Campus Directory.

How can I change my appointing department in RAMSeS?

RAMSeS uses the Human Resources database to select the appointing department for individuals. If you need to make a change, please contact department’s HR facilitator to make this correction. (link to HR Facilitator Information web page)