In support of the University’s mission to expand the body of knowledge and teach students of all levels in an environment of research and free inquiry, the Research Administration Support Group (RASG) will inform, educate, and support individuals involved in research and research administration by providing a forum for discussion and open exchange of ideas and an information network for policies, procedures, and sponsor guidelines.
Get advance notice of RASG meetings and stay up-to-date on issues that affect campus research.
The RASG will hold regular forums promoting open communication and discussion among researchers, research administrators and support personnel, and central University research administrators. Download presentations from previous meetings below.
SPRING 2014 FORUM TBA
- Joni Bowling, Carolina Population Center, Joni_Bowling@unc.edu
- Amanda Briggs, Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Amanda_Briggs@unc.edu
- Grace Chen, School of Nursing, email@example.com
- Dede Corvinus (Chair), School of Medicine, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elizabeth Craig (Vice Chair), Dental Research, School of Dentistry, email@example.com
- Evan Ellis-Raymer, Center for Gastrointestinal Biology and Disease, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kathryn Fiscelli (Secretary), School of Pharmacy, email@example.com
- Jennifer Gallina, School of Journalism, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelia Hunnicutt, Biology, email@example.com
- Vicki Moore, School of Public Health, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kelly Musty, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, email@example.com
- Kelly Smith, School of Social Work, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg Workman, School of Nursing, email@example.com
Downloadable presentations from previous meetings (note that not all RASG meetings have included downloadable presentations).
Wednesday, November 13th, 2013
Library Research Support Services - Barrie Hayes, Bioinformatics and Traslational Science
NCURA Webinar Announcement: Embezzlement, False Claims, Theft and Bribery: NSF-OIG Investigated Cases – Phyllis Daugherty, Office of Sponsored Research
Export Control Compliance - Constance Birden, Environmental Health & Safety, Judy Faubert, University
Grant Application & IACUC Application Congruency - Michelle Denning, Office of Animal Care and Use
Wednesday, November 28th, 2012
Monday, April 18th, 2011
- Basic Do’s and Don’ts for Service Recharge Centers, Dede Corvinus, Director of the Office of Research, School of Medicine; Annabelle Stein, Accounting & Recharge Center Liaison, Office of Translational Technologies, NC TraCS Institute
- Cost Accounting Standards – Tim Quigg, Associate Chair for Administration and Finance, Department of Computer Science
Friday, November 12th 2010
- Effort Reporting/Certification, Evan Ellis-Raymer, Center for Gastrointestinal Biology and Disease
- Upcoming Changes and Timeline for New Effort Reporting System, Andy Johns, Office of Research Information Systems
Thursday, August 19th 2010
T32’s -Unlocking the Mystery
- Planning for a T32 submission
- Components of a T32 Application
- Developing a T32 budget
- T32 Tables
- Appointment and termination forms
- Allowable costs
- Progress Reports
- Financial Reporting
- xTrain-NIH’s new electronic system
Wednesday, March 17th 2010
- NIH Mandated Pubmed Central Submissions- Are your PI’s complying?
Fran Allegri, Head of User Services, Health Sciences Library and K.T. Vaughan, Associate Librarian, presentation on how to comply with NIH mandate regarding the submission of publications.
- Graduate Students on Sponsored Research
Peg Vigiolto, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Sponsored Research, panel discussion about the ins and outs of charging graduate student expenses to grants
- Research Systems Update
Andy Johns, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, update on changes in existing electronic systems, as well as new systems being developed for campus
Wednesday, October 7th, 2009
What’s New in Research Administration and Compliance at UNC?
- As the Compliance World Turns – Sherrie Settle, Conflict of Interest Officer and Assistant Director, Research Compliance Program
- Where the Office of Sponsored Research is Going Next – Peg Vigiolto, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research and Director, Office of Sponsored Research
Thursday, October 11, 2007
- The Research Compliance Initiative- Juliann Tenney, JD, Research Compliance and Privacy Officer, Director-Research Compliance Program
- Conflict Of Interest: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow- Sherrie Settle, Conflict of Interest Officer, Assistant Director-Research Compliance Program
- Training Programs Update – Phyllis Daugherty, Director-Training and Development, OSR
- Where are we now? – OSR updates
- Hamilton Brown, Director, Proposal Management
- Kelly Musty, Director, Award Management
- Hilda Durham, Director, Reporting & Cash Management
Thursday, May 17, 2007
December 12, 2006
- Meet the Pre Award Crew: Pre Award Team Presentations, Work Flow Processes, and Q&A.
- Download presentations for each speaker (PowerPoint)
September 6, 2006
BACK TO THE FUTURE-PT2, Systems and Approaches for a New Era in Research: Review of Implementation and Future Development
February 9, 2006
ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? Research Career Banding and Other Hot Topics
The Office of Human Resources is beginning the initial phases of career banding implementation for designated research positions. This presentation will provide an overview of career banding, the status of current career banding activities in the research arena, a summary of what to expect during career banding implementation and a discussion of actions that can be taken now to prepare for the program rollout.
- Vicki Bradley, Kathy Dutton, and Jason McDaniel – Countdown to Career Banding
November 15, 2005:
LET’S “RAP” (RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION PROCESSES)-In our interactive RAP session, panelists will discuss issues which affect our RAP. Find out what YOU can do to facilitate the process!
- Barbara Longmire, Director, Office of Clinical Trials (Pre Award)
- Barbara Lyons, Financial Analyst, Comprehensive Cancer Center (Pre Award)
- Cathy Rogers, Contract Specialist, Office of Sponsored Research (Pre Award)
- Ellen Ludington, Deputy Director for Research Development, Psychiatry (Pre Award)
- Kelly Musty, Financial Analyst, Office of Sponsored Research (Post Award)
- Dianne Blake, Sr. Accounting Specialist, Highway Safety Research Ctr (Post Award)
August 30, 2005:
Office of Sponsored Research Answers the Call:
- Jim Peterson, Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, demonstrates the new Online Toolkits currently under development.
- Kevin Maynor, Director of Cost Analysis and Compliance, discusses Service Centers – their functions, restrictions and best practices.
- Hamilton Brown, Director of Pre-Award Services, discusses exceptional research, service and unfunded agreements.
April 21, 2005:
- NIH Update
January 19, 2005:
- Who’s Watching? Why are they Watching? Why should I Care?
October 13, 2004:
- UNC-Chapel Hill’s Response to the NIH Roadmap Initiative: Rudy Juliano, Professor, Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine. Presentation
- Semi-Annual Laboratory Inspections: Rhonda Lewallen, IACUC Training/Compliance Coordinator, Office of Animal Care and Use. Presentation; Handout
July 15, 2004:
- Office of Human Research Ethics Update (PowerPoint) or (PDF)
- Professional Societies in Research Administration
February 19, 2004:
- Campus Interdepartmental Fees and Charges
- NIH ERA: Part 1 (no longer available), Part 2: Registering a P.I. (Flash executable), Part 3: Pending P.I. (Flash executable)