- PhD Career Finder – Provides information about careers in various disciplines
- Discussion Forums – Helps you learn from others and get your specific questions answered
- Panel Discussions – With PhDs now employed in various fields such as grant writing, management consulting, university administration, and policy analysis
- Members Directory – Is searchable and can assist in networking
- Meetups – Which occur regularly in many cities across North America
- MyVPhD – Lets you manage your account and sign up for email notifications of forum discussions and/or jobs
Career Resources for Postdocs
The following list of resources is not exhaustive. We suggest you search for additional organizations and job/networking sites in your area of interest, and regularly check the UNC-Chapel Hill Office of Postdoctoral Affairs Calendar of Events.
- Biospace: Biotech and Pharmaceutical News & Jobs
- ChronicleVitae Jobs: A job site provided by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Idealist (Opportunities at not-for profits)
- Massachusetts Biotechnical Council Career Site
- Medzilla: Jobs in Healthcare, Pharma and Science
- Minority Postdoc Job Page
- National Postdoctoral Association Career Center
- Nature Jobs
- New Scientist Jobs
- NIH Office of Intramural Training & Development Job Board
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center Job Board
- Science (AAAS) Careers
- USA Jobs – Federal Government Job Site
- Work in the Triangle
Professional association job boards
The following professional associations post job listings to all site visitors. Other organizations require membership to access job postings.
- American Chemical Society
- American Physics Society
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Medical Science Liaison Society
- Society for Developmental Biology
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry
Job sites for academic positions
Humanities & social science resources
The Humanities PhD Project
Supports doctoral students and faculty in the humanities as they imagine, plan for, and pursue multiple career paths as humanists in the world, in the academy and beyond.
The Versatile Ph.D.
OPA offers Versatile PhD, a web-based resource for postdocs interested in exploring career opportunities beyond academe. The site is mainly for Humanities and Social Science Postdocs, but may benefit others as well. Access this supportive, web-based community by clicking here or copy and paste the following link into your browser – https://webapps.grad.unc.edu/auth/versatilephd.html. (Requires Onyen registration). The site includes:
Humanities & Social Science Job Sites
- American Evaluation Association Job Board
- American Public Health Association CareerMart
- American Psychology Association PsychCareers
- American Sociological Association Job Bank (membership required)
- Public Health Jobs
- Public Service Careers
- Sociology Postdoc Job Market Forum
- Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology Job Network
- Humanities & Social Sciences Online Job Postings
- Idealist (Nonprofit and NGO jobs)
State and regional professional associations & networking groups
(Some organizations are regional chapters of national organizations)
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- American Medical Writer’s Association: Carolinas Chapter
- Biopharma Networking Group: NC Chapter
- Chinese Association for Science & Technology – NC Chapter
- Carolina Innovation Seminars
- LaunchBio: Durham
- North Carolina Academy of Science
- North Carolina Association for Biomedical Research
- North Carolina Association of Environmental Professionals
- North Carolina Extension Association of Family & Consumer Sciences
- North Carolina Biosciences Organization
- North Carolina Psychological Association
- North Carolina Public Health Association
- North Carolina Regulatory Affairs Forum
- Research Triangle Environmental Health Collaborative
- Research Triangle Park Chapter of the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP)
- Science Communicators of North Carolina
- Triangle Biotech Tuesdays
Work settings for scientists
- Directory of 4,600+ Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Companies
- North Carolina Biotech Company Directory
- BioCom: 500+ Biotech Companies in Southern California
- Massachusetts Biotechnology Council Membership Directory
Books: academic careers
- The Effective Scientist: A Handy Guide to a Successful Academic Career (2018)
- The Ph.Dictionary: A Glossary of Things You Don’t Know (But Should) About Doctoral and Faculty Life (2015)
- The Professor Is In: The Essential Guide to Turning Your Ph.D. Into A Job (2015)
- At the Helm: Leading Your Laboratory (2010)
- The Academic Job Search Handbook (2008)
- The Compleat Academic (2008)
- The Chicago Guide to Landing a Job in Academic Biology (2007)
- Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty (2006)
- Building a Successful Career in Scientific Research: A Guide for PhD Students and Postdocs (2006)
Books: science, industry & health-related careers
- The Scientists Guide to Writing: How to Write More Easily and Effectively Throughout Your Scientific Career (2016)
- Career Opportunities for Biomedical Scientists (2014)
- So What Are You Going To Do With That? Finding Careers Outside Academia (2014)
- Charting a Course for a Successful Research Career (2012)
- A PhD is not Enough: A Guide to Survival in Science (2011)
- Secrets To Success In Industry Careers: Essential Skills for Science & Business (2010)
- Career Opportunities in Clinical Drug Research (2010)
- The Physician Scientist’s Career Guide (2010)
- At the Helm: Leading Your Laboratory (2010)
Books: science & medical writing careers
- Medical Writing: A Brief Guide for Beginners (2015)
- Successful Scientific Writing (2014)
- The Science Writer’s Handbook (2013)
Books: math & data science careers
- BIG Jobs: Business, Industry & Government Careers for Mathematical Scientists, Statisticians & Operations Researchers (2018)
- Heard in Data Science Interviews: Over 650 Most Commonly Asked Questions & Answers (2018)
- Journey to Data Scientists: Interviews with more than 20 Amazing Data Scientists (2018)
The individual development plan
Created by Science Careers, myIDP helps you explore career possibilities and set goals to follow the career path that fits you best. Accessed online, myIDP can be used independently or with the assistance of a OPA career counselor. It provides:
- Exercises to help you examine your skills, interests, and values
- A list of 20 scientific career paths with a prediction of which ones best fit your skills and interests
- A tool for setting strategic goals for the coming year, with optional reminders to keep you on track
- Articles and resources to guide you through the process
Postdoc mentoring & networking
MentorNet, the E-Mentoring Network for Diversity in Engineering and Science, connects mentors and mentees in engineering, science, and mathematics. MentorNet was created to foster the retention and success of women and underrepresented minorities in particular, but welcomes anyone interested in connecting with peers and experienced professionals in their field. The MentorNet Community offers the One-on-One E-Mentoring Program, which pairs postdocs with professionals in an email based mentoring relationship, the E-Forum for web based discussion of issues like job searches and the work/life balance, as well as resources and a résumé database. To learn more and find a mentor (or become a mentor), visit the MentorNet website. Membership is available on an individual basis
National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity
NCFDD is an independent faculty development center dedicated to providing external mentoring, professional development, and a supportive community for advanced graduate students, postdocs, and faculty members across institutions. Visit the website and register as an Institutional Sub-Account Member. You must use your UNC email address for registration.
- The Monday Motivator – A weekly message that reinforces core ideas presented in webinars and provides support for individuals making the transition to a faculty position.
- Webinars – Monthly 60-90 minute Guest Expert professional development sessions
- Multi-Week Courses – Intensive workshop series guided by expert facilitators
- Discussion Forum – A place for members to connect, share information, peer-mentor, problem solve, and celebrate each others’ success.
- The Library – A resource that provides transcripts, slides, and audio recordings of past webinars.
- Career Center – Search job openings, subscribe to new posting notifications in your field, and learn more about the job search process.
- Resources – Recommended readings, writing clubs, productivity we apps and more.
Job search and job interview handouts
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- Interviewing for Academic Positions
- Job Interview Questions
- Negotiating Offers for Faculty Positions
- Mastering the Phone & Skype Interview
- Difference between a Resume and an Academic CV
- Questions to ask a Potential Mentor
- Salutations (Greetings) to Use in Job Search Correspondence
Faculty resources and job search articles
Teaching Philosophy Statements
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Cornell University
- University of Michigan
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Diversity Statement Guidelines and Samples (UC San Diego)
- The Effective Diversity Statement (Chronicle of Higher Ed)
- The Teaching Demonstration: What Faculty Expect & How to Prepare for This Aspect of the Job Interview (CBE Life Sci Educ)
- Giving a Teacher Demo (Inside Higher Ed)
- Tenured/Tenure Track Faculty Salaries by Discipline
- Chronicle Data: Search and explore faculty, staff, and adjunct salary data at thousands of colleges.
- Negotiating Offers for Faculty Positions
UNC Center for Faculty Excellence
Whether you’re contemplating a university faculty career and/or currently teaching a course, the UNC Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE) offers a wide range of resources, programs and workshops of value to postdocs, including (but certainly not limited to):
- Resources for Mentors (and Mentees)
- Leadership Development Plans
- Faculty Professional Leadership Skills Series
- Resources for Diversity and Inclusion
- Course Design Institute
- Equity in Teaching Institute
- Teach with Technology
- Survey and Classroom Management Software
Career articles & videos
- Professional polish – What to wear at a job interview (Science)
- A Transition from Postdoc to Industry (Science)
- Careers at Nonprofits and NGOs (Science)
- The Keys to Career Control (Science)
- Industry Postdocs: The Road Less Traveled (Science)
- Finding a Chemical Postdoc Position in Industry (Chemical & Engineering News)
- 30 Essential Behavioral Interview Questions
- Following up a job interview with a Thank-You note
Industry Interview Job Talks
Similar to faculty interview Job Talks and Chalk Talks, many industry job interviews require a presentation on your past and current research. If you have questions about the talk (e.g., audience, duration, preferred subject matter, setting, audiovisual equipment) – ask the hiring manager with whom you have been communicating.
- Job talk for industry researcher position: UCSF
- To ace your job talk, you need to know your audience: Science Magazine
- Tooling up: job talk jitters: Science Magazine
You Tube Videos on Publishing
- What is a journal article impact factor
- How to find an impact factor?
- What is peer review?
- Should I publish in an open access journal?
- What is Sci-Hub?
- What is predatory publishing?
- What is a monograph?
- What is retraction watch?
- What is an embargo in scholarly publishing?
- What is a content hub?
- What are academic social networking sites: ResearchGate and Academia.edu?
- What is Metadata 2020?
- What is the difference between single blind or double blind peer review in publishing?
- What are preprints?
- What is a crossmark?
- Using video in academic publishing
- Taxonomies & publishing
Examples of Linkedin groups (approximate membership # in parentheses)
(Some Linkedin groups are associated with national professional organizations).
- Science Jobs (163,000)
- American Public Health Association (54,000)
- Contract Research/Development/Manufacturing Organization Professionals (39,000)
- Regulatory Affairs Professional Society (26,000)
- The Life Science Executive Exchange, sponsored by BioInformatics LLC (24,000)
- Science, Technology & Innovation Policy (14,000)
- Medical Science Liaisons & Medical Affairs Networkers (10,000)
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (8,000)
- Life Science & Medical Device Sales Representatives (7,000)
- Laboratory Animal Science and Medicine (7,000)
- Science Writers (6,000)
- The Science Advisory Board (6,000)
- The PostDoc Forum (4,900)
- Association of University Technology Managers (1,000)
Be sure to join the Linkedin UNC Chapel Hill Postdocs & Postdoc Alumni Group to share information on a variety of topics to facilitate your professional development and enhance the postdoctoral experience at UNC.
Examples of current and past UNC postdoc Linkedin profiles
- Teague Henry (current postdoc)
- Yu Mi (current postdoc)
- Erik Bankaitis – (recent postdoc)
- Jonathan Williams (recent postdoc)
- Matthew Varga (recent postdoc)
- Lindsay Fernandez-Rhodes (recent postdoc)
- Katelyn Holliday (recent postdoc)
Examples of researcher websites
Training opportunities for UNC postdocs
- UNC Chapel Hill Certificate in Bioinformatics
- UNC Chapel Hill Graduate Certificate in Business Fundamentals
- UNC Chapel Hill SPIRE Seminar on College Teaching
- UNC Chapel Hill Office of Commercialization and Economic Development (OCED) Internship
- UNC Chapel Hill Clinical Molecular Genetics Fellowship Program
- UNC TraCS Postdoctoral Training Program in Translation
- NIH Office of Technology Transfer Fellowship Program
- Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society (RAPS) Certificate Programs
- Regulatory Affairs Training Program at Duke University
- Bell Tower Toastmasters Club – Develop Public Speaking Skills
- Jenni Pickett.com – Blog containing free and low-cost education for medical writers and pharma scientists
- PubMed: Comprises 26 million+ citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books.
- ResearchGate: A social networking site for scientists and researchers to share papers, ask and answer questions, and find collaborators
- UNC-Chapel Hill Office of Postdoctoral Affairs Calendar of Events
- Tools & Tips from Science Careers (Resume/CV, Interviewing, Funding, Building a Network)
- Research Triangle Park (RTP) Company Directory
- National Science Foundation: Special Programs for Postdoctoral Fellows
- Duke University Post Doc Academic Job Series (You Tube V