Postdoc Advisory Board
Looking for a way to make a difference?
The UNC Postdoc Advisory Board is the leadership arm of the UNC Postdoctoral Association, a volunteer organization dedicated to addressing the needs and concerns of all UNC postdocs. In the past, the Postdoc Advisory Board has worked closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to provide resources for professional development, generate awareness about problems common to all postdocs, and to foster a sense of community among postdoctoral scholars. In addition to organizing events and seminars to enrich the scientific experience of postdocs, the Postdoc Advisory Board is also interested in promoting programs to encourage social interaction within the community.
We invite you to become part of the Postdoc Advisory Board and welcome your ideas and suggestions to improve the quality of the postdoctoral experience here at UNC. Furthermore, your participation will assist you in building your own leadership skills, in meeting other postdocs outside of your home department, networking and negotiating with others, and in serving the community, a critical experience for you to list on your CV and share with employers during interviews.
The seats available on the Postdoc Advisory Board are listed below:
UNC Postdoctoral Advisory Board Composition:
School of Medicine (4 seats)
Lineberger Cancer Center (1 seat)
Biochemistry (1 seat)
Open (2 seats)
School of Public Health (2 seats)
School of Pharmacy (2 seats)
College of Arts & Sciences (4 seats)
Stem areas (2 seats)
Social Sciences (1 seat)
Arts & Humanities (1 seat)
At Large Members (all schools/depts) 4-6 seats
Minority Postdoc Alliance (MPA)
International Postdoc Alliance
Postdoc Parenting Group
Campus Health Advisory Board
Advisory Committee for Transportation (ACT)
Will also consider diversity and representation of LBGTQ, Race/Ethnicity, Gender identity, Disability, Non-Traditional Age/Career Transitioners, etc.
Eligibility Requirements and Instructions:
- Must be a current postdoc trainee or postdoc research associate
- Must be in current position for at least six months to apply
- Must have attended mandatory New Postdoctoral Scholar Orientation session within 90 days of appointment as required by policy
- Applications including all four components must be received by August 5, 2019
Applications should consist of the following components:
A. Personal Information:
- First and Last Name
- Contact number (office or cell phone)
- UNC email address
- Department/Center Name
- School/Division Name
- What seat are you interested in applying to on the Advisory Board?
B. Answer the following questions (150-200 words for each questions):
- Why do you want to serve on the Postdoc Advisory Board (be specific to the seat you are applying for)?
- What programs/workshops/services have you attended/participated in while here at UNC (i.e., career counseling, professional development workshops)
- Please describe your prior leadership experience and how it has prepared you for this role?
- How do you see yourself contributing to the UNC postdoctoral community (please give examples)?
C. Current curriculum vitae
D. List one reference at UNC include Name, Department, Contact information (email and phone number).
If you are interested in getting involved, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 5, 2019
Subject Heading: Postdoc Advisory Board