The mission of the Postdoctoral Association (PDA) is to represent the concerns and interests of postdoctoral scholars here at UNC. PDA leaders work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to assess the status of postdoctoral life. They also provide leadership and support for the PDA and peer initiatives.
PDA LEADERSHIP TEAM
Applications Due by 11:59PM EST on Friday, April 16, 2021
Looking for a way to make a difference?
The UNC Postdoc Association (PDA) is a volunteer peer lead organization dedicated to addressing the needs and concerns of all UNC postdocs. The officers, postdoc representatives, and chairs of the interest groups in PDA work closely with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs to provide resources for professional development, generate awareness about problems common to all postdocs, and to foster a sense of community among postdoctoral scholars. In addition to organizing events and seminars to enrich the experience of postdocs, PDA is also interested in promoting programs to encourage social interaction within the community.
We invite you to become part of the PDA leadership team and welcome your ideas and suggestions to improve the quality of the postdoctoral experience here at UNC. Furthermore, your participation as an officer will assist you in building your own leadership skills, meeting postdocs outside of your home department, and in serving the community, a critical experience for you to list on your CV and share with employers during interviews.
The seats in leadership that are currently open with PDA:
Open officer positions (one seat per position):
- Associate Chair
UNC Postdoctoral Association Leadership Descriptions:
- Chair – oversees the PDA leadership team and acts as a liaison between the PDA and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. The chair is responsible for leading the PDA group to develop plans and activities for the year. The chair is also responsible for developing and maintaining an online team-based platform to facilitate communication amongst the PDA and archive materials. The chair serves a one-year term.
- Associate Chair– assists the chair as needed and assumes a leadership role in the chair’s absence. The associate chair serves a one-year term and moves into the chair position the following year
- Treasurer– oversees the PDA budget, works closely with OPA to ensure spending complies with UNC’s financial policies, and is responsible for meeting minutes. The treasurer serves a two-year term.
- Communication officer– responsible for communication of PDA activities, social media, and develops postdoctoral communications programs such as postdoc feature stories. The communications officer serves a two year term.
Eligibility Requirements and Instructions to apply for open position:
- Must be a current postdoc trainee or postdoc research associate
- Must have attended mandatory New Postdoctoral Scholar Orientation session within 90 days of appointment as required by policy
- Applications including all four components must be received by 11:59PM EDT on April 16, 2021
Applications should consist of the following components:
- First and Last Name
- Contact number (office or cell phone)
- UNC email address
- Department/Center Name
- School/Division Name
- What officer position you interested in applying to (you can apply to more than one- please rank priority)?
Answer the following questions:
- Why do you want to serve as an officer with PDA (be specific to the seat you are applying for)?
- What programs/workshops/services have you attended/participated in while here at UNC (i.e., career counseling, professional development workshops)?
- Please describe your prior experience and how it has prepared you for this role?
- How do you see yourself contributing to the UNC postdoctoral community (please give examples)?
Current curriculum vitae
- List one reference at UNC including Name, Department, Contact information (email and phone number).
If you are interested in getting involved, please send your application to email@example.com by 11:59PM EDT on April 16, 2021.
This is a volunteer-run organization: If there is a program or service you want, come help make it happen!
To visit the Postdoctoral Association page, click here.