How To Apply
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is accepting applications for the Postdoctoral Awards for Research Excellence. The awards, open to postdocs in all disciplines, are designed to recognize research potential and to assist scholars with professional development needs, such as conference travel, written materials, skills workshops, or other activities that directly enhance the individual’s professional development. The awards can fund up to $1000 in professional endeavors and must be expended between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2020.
Eligibility and Instructions
I. The following terms apply to the awards:
- Applicants must be full-time and fall into one of two Human Resources designations: Postdoctoral Fellow/Trainee or Postdoctoral Research Associate.
- Applicants must have at least one year remaining in their postdoc appointments at the time of application.
- Funds from the awards may be used for books, travel to a conference, skills workshops, or other resources or activities that directly enhance the postdoc’s professional development. Funds can not be used to purchase lab related supplies or equipment, computers or other electronics.
- The application deadline is 5:00PM on Friday, May 31, 2019 (no exceptions).
II. Applications should consist of:
- A brief cover letter
- Address to Dr. Mark Heise, Chair of the Postdoctoral Awards for Research Excellence Committee
- Includes a brief description of how the funds will be spent
- 2 page limit
- 12 pt Times New Roman font, single spaced
- A current curriculum vitae
- A research statement
- 2 page limit (references can exceed the 2 page limit)
- Broadly discuss the significance of your current work, and your research accomplishments/contributions as a postdoc at UNC. Then provide details of your future research plans.
- Please note: evaluation of each candidate will be primarily based on one’s accomplishments as a postdoc at UNC.
- A signed letter of endorsement from the applicant’s mentor on departmental letterhead. This letter should be emailed to email@example.com directly from the mentor.
All materials should be submitted to this link no later than 5:00PM on May 31, 2019. Materials received after this time will not be considered.