Postdoc Health Insurance
For Blue Cross NC’s latest information on the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit bluecrossnc.com/coronavirus
Point of Blue Blog: https://blog.bcbsnc.com/2020/02/what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus/
On this page:
Health insurance benefits exist for all eligible postdocs. Eligible Postdocs must be classified as either a Postdoc Research Associate or a Postdoc Research Trainee and temporary full-time in the UNC Payroll system. Monthly health insurance premiums for individual postdocs are covered by the institution (department or funding source), NOT by the individual postdoc. Postdocs are responsible for covering monthly premiums for spouses and children. The Postdoc Medical Insurance Plan is underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC). A waiver form must be signed if the postdoctoral scholar decides they do not want to enroll for health coverage benefits.
OPEN ENROLLMENT is held annually from July 1 – July 31. If a spouse and/or children are not currently insured under this plan, the Postdoc may add dependents during the open-enrollment period. Otherwise, dependents may only be added within the first 30 days of hire or with a qualifying life event (birth, death, job change, etc.).
If you have questions about your coverage, please contact:
***New Medical Plan Rates effective July 1, 2023***
||Cost to Postdoc|
|Postdoc and Family||$926.25|
**Cost of postdoc insurance is $464.70, and is covered by the postdoc’s PI/department.
2023-2024 Medical Plan (July 1, 2023- June 30, 2024)
UNC Postdoc BCBSNC Packet 2023-2024 (FAQ, Summary of Benefits, Waiver Form)
Student Blue Dashboard Guide (View Account, Change Address, Enroll Dependents)
- Postdoc Rates – 2023-2024
- Medical Summary of Benefits (PPO)
- Vision Blue 20/20 Plan
- Free Multi-Language Interpreter Services
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Waiver Form
Postdocs and spouses/partners enrolled in the student blue medical plan enjoy a financial advantage by using Campus Health Services (CHS) as their first choice for primary medical care services. Covered children must seek medical care with a provider outside of Campus Health Services. Extensive primary care and health education services are available at CHS, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. Please refer to the CHS website for details: http://campushealth.unc.edu.
Eligibility and Enrollment
- In order to be eligible for the Postdoc Medical Insurance Plan, the Postdoc must hold the HR position title of a postdoctoral trainee or postdoctoral research associate and be on payroll at least 30 hours per week.
- Eligible postdocs are automatically enrolled via the monthly enrollment file by UNC payroll to BCBSNC following the postdoc’s appointment date. For example, if a Postdoc’s appointment date is December 1, BCBSNC will be notified of that Postdoc’s eligibility at the end of December and coverage will begin on the following month (for this example, January 1).
- Postdocs can complete enrollment for dependents, change their mailing address or terminate coverage using the online portal provided by Student Blue NC website. Coverage begins on the first day of the month following the month of the Postdoc’s appointment effective date. If the Postdoc wishes to opt out of the plan, they must sign the waiver form.
- Completed Campus Health Services Packets should be mailed to CHS at Campus Health Services at James A. Taylor Building, CB 7470, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 or bring completed forms to their first visit.
- If a Postdoc enrolls a dependent, monthly premiums (initial TWO months) will be deducted from their paycheck. Future monthly premiums will be a payroll deduction.
- It typically takes about 45 days from a postdoc’s appointment date for the Postdoc to receive an ID card. The ID card can also be viewed online using the Student Blue NC website 7-10 days after your appointment effective date. The Student Blue Dashboard Guide has instructions on how you can view your enrollment and update your mailing address as a newly enrolled postdoc.
Medical/Vision Plan Highlights
- If the Postdoc is referred outside of CHS, they will be responsible for a $500 (individual) policy year deductible and 20% co-insurance assuming they visit a preferred provider. If the Postdoc visits a non-preferred provider, they will be responsible for a $1000 (individual) policy year deductible. Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC will then reimburse 70% Provider’s Reasonable Charge (PRC).
- Prescriptions filled at CHS pharmacy is a $10 co-pay. If the cost of the drug is less than $10, the Postdoc will pay the lesser amount. For a list of drugs available at the CHS pharmacy, please access https://campushealth.unc.edu/services/pharmacy-services.
- If the Postdoc visits a retail pharmacy they should present the drug card to the pharmacist and pay a tiered copay.
- Routine eye exam is a $10 co-pay per year (in-network) and up to $100 allowance for frames (in-network). Vision Benefits
- Be in the Know- Insurance Education-Preventative Care
- BCBSNC provides free aids and services to people with disabilities and free language services to people whose primary language is not English. If these services are needed, contact Customer Service 1-888-206-4697 /1-800-442-7028 (TTY and TDD)
- Questions about the UNC Postdoc Health Insurance or Dental Insurance Plan? Please contact BCBSNC 1-800-762-8505 or email@example.com.
Postdoctoral scholars on the health insurance plan have the option to continue health insurance coverage through COBRA for 18 months following discontinuation or termination by paying the full costs of the monthly premium themselves. For more information on how to enroll in COBRA, please contact BCBSNC at 1-800-762-8505 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Postdocs are encouraged to explore all of their options for health insurance. The websites listed below are given as a resource only and are not endorsed by UNC System, UNC Chapel Hill and/or Campus Health Services. Some things to consider when reviewing the options: verify the policy benefits, any exclusions, any waiting periods and if your preferred physician participates in the plan you select. See details below:
Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Affordable Care Act (ACA) – Marketplace Government Insurance go to www.healthcare.gov. For Navigator* assistance with the ACA call 800-318-2596. You may also want to visit NC Legal Aid at http://www.legalidnc.org or call 855-733-3711 to make an appointment with a Navigator*.
*A Navigator can explain Marketplace policies and assist you with the Marketplace enrollment process.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Blue Cross / Blue Shield health insurance products: Visit www.bcbsnc.com/individual or call 800-894-2880
If you are the sole provider for your family, Medicaid may be an option. You can contact your county Medicaid office for assistance. If you are able to enroll in Medicaid, please allow enough time for Medicaid to process your enrollment before the waive deadline. Below is contact information for nearby counties:
- Orange County – 919-732-8181
- Chatham County – 919-542-2759
- Person County – 336-503-1148
- Alamance County – 336-570-6532
- Durham County – 919-856-2570
Aetna, Assurant Health, Cigna, Celtic, Coventry, Humana, United HealthCare and other plans:
Temporary Health Insurance
Campus Health Services
James A. Taylor Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
General information and Appointments: (919) 966-2281
Postdocs enjoy a financial advantage by using the Campus Health Services (CHS) as their first choice for primary medical care services. Spouses may visit Campus Health Services as well, but covered children must seek medical care with a provider outside of Campus Health Services. Extensive primary care and health education services are available at CHS, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. Please refer to the CHS website for details.
- Campus Health’s role with Coronavirus includes supporting post-doctoral fellows’ health concerns. Call 919-966-6603 (M – F 8a- 5p) or 919-966-6573 (weekends 8a – 5p) or email email@example.com to report return from international travel or ask questions about self-quarantining.
- COVID-19 Service Details (Testing, Vaccination, Booster, FAQ)
Blue 20/20: There is a $10 co-pay for one comprehensive eye exam (in-network) per year. It also includes $100 hardware allowance for glasses and contacts.
Dental Insurance is a voluntary plan offered to all Postdocs. Postdocs can choose an individual plan, a plan for their children, or a plan for their entire family. Receive a free, no-obligation quote from Dental Blue.
Another Option: UNC Dental Faculty Practice
UNC Dental Faculty Practice- The UNC Dental Faculty Practice offers offer all dental procedures, from routine cleanings to complex oral surgery. The Dental Faculty Practice is a fee-for-service dental practice with fees comparable to that found at a private practice in the surrounding community. Payment is due at time of service. UNC-CH employees and their immediate families a 20% discount on new-patient exams and the associated X-rays taken that day. For more information visit www.UNCdentists.com or make an appointment by calling 919-537-3939. Be sure to identify yourself as a UNC-CH employee (Postdocs are considered full-time temporary employees).