The Office of Research Communications serves the University by conveying the value of research conducted at UNC to the people of North Carolina and the world. The office publishes the UNC Research website and Endeavors magazine, and provides communication services to the Vice Chancellor for Research’s organization and its affiliated centers and institutes.
- Our writers produce full-length feature articles, brief news updates, fact sheets, press releases, and reports. Our original content is published under the Endeavors brand – Carolina’s digital research magazine.
- We have in-house capability to produce short videos suitable for web, longer videos for presentations, and shorter trailer-length videos for social media.
- Our photographers capture everything from action-oriented images of people doing amazing things to static images of buildings and resources. They can also fulfill administrative needs such as staff headshots.
- Graphic Design
- We have the capacity to produce a wide variety of graphics – from infographics that distill complicated information, to flyers, maps, and graphs.
- Social Media
- Our office manages productive relationships with internal and external communication partners. This allows us to leverage our content in various publications. We work closely with the Office of Communications and Public Affairs on stories that would excite a national audience. We also work with Development, editors of the on-campus magazines, the Alumni Review, and other department communicators to produce stories of interest to those distinct audiences.
- Web Management
- ORC has an in-house webmaster who oversees all pages on research.unc.edu and our digital magazine. His proficiency with these two sites makes him an excellent resource for website management.
- Internal Communications
- We produce the monthly Inside Research e-mail newsletter that communicates important announcements, events, and topics to an internal audience of researchers and research administrators.
- ORC manages the organizational brand for the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research. We have developed a product library of brochures, fact sheets, newsletter layouts, web and video graphics, presentations, and templates for use across the organization.
- Communication Support for Research Administrative Units
- As the embedded communications office for the OVCR, ORC produces content and materials for the 11 administrative services within the organization. This includes website updates, newsletters, flyers, brochures, videos, photos, and more. ORC also serves in an advisory role to the other units for communication plans, strategies, and messaging.
- Communication Support for Research Centers and Institutes
- ORC serves as communication advisors and consultants for the 15 research centers and institutes under the Vice Chancellor for Research. We work with communicators embedded in these units to align top-level research messaging and ensure a consistency in communication products that are produced across the larger organization.
- In addition to serving as communication advisors, ORC regularly performs communication services for the centers and institutes. These services include filming and photography, graphic design, writing, and social media support.
- University Support
- ORC is often sought to perform communication services to University entities outside of the OVCR, including branding guidance, website design and administration, graphic design support, writing, and communication strategy guidance.