UNC North Carolina Business Startups
At Carolina, the research, discoveries, and creative activity of our faculty and students translate into new businesses and jobs for North Carolina. A major force in the state’s economy, UNC–Chapel Hill drives economic prosperity by attracting the best and brightest minds to the University and providing an environment that inspires creativity and discovery. Carolina invests heavily to create a culture of entrepreneurship and a support network on campus that propels research and innovation into viable startup businesses. Today more than 300 UNC startup companies located in North Carolina provide jobs to nearly 9,000 state residents. These companies employ 72,000 worldwide and bring $10.5 billion in revenue back to the state each year.
UNC Startup Stats
- There are 454 active startups connected with UNC-Chapel Hill. Of that total, 376 are headquartered across 16 North Carolina counties.
- UNC startups employ 8,902 people in North Carolina.
- 35 UNC startups manufacture products in North Carolina.
- Of the $11.2 billion in annual revenue generated by UNC startups, 94 percent is earned by Carolina startups headquartered in North Carolina.
- Out of all companies that got their start at the University, 79 percent are still active (454 out of 575).
Featured Startup: Bivarus, LLC
Bivarus was created in response to frustration among health-care professionals with current patient satisfaction tools and their lack of scientific precision and actionable findings. In response, the company has created a platform to generate precise findings around the quality of a patient’s experience with health care and to provide sound data for improving care.