Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Research (DEIR)
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Research (DEIR) Certificate Program
The OVCR and the Odum Institute have created a certificate program to foster a new standard of inclusion, sensitivity, and intentionality in the UNC research community.
After a successful pilot year in 2021-22, The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Research (DEIR) Certificate Program has launched a second cohort for all researchers and staff affiliated with OVCR. Developed specifically for faculty and staff engaged in research activities, this certificate will offer participants the tools to:
- create and sustain conditions in research labs and workspaces that foster diversity and inclusion;
- address bias and inequity in the conduct of research; and
- enact initiatives that prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the research process, from assembling research teams to dissemination research outputs.
To earn the DEIR Certificate, program participants must successfully complete a set of required core courses, plus three elective courses from a selection of DEIR-approved courses. Courses will be offered on a rotating basis each semester, with required core courses offered during the fall academic term and electives in the spring. Courses will be scheduled with enough frequency that participants are able to complete certificate requirements in as few as two semesters. In addition to curriculum, DEIR participants may enjoy bimonthly reflection gatherings to further explore DEIR concepts, learn and share UNC best practices, and engage in critical conversations around equity topics on campus and beyond.
2022-23 Course Listing
- Race Realities™*
- History of Unethical Research*
- Cultural Competency & Cultural Humility*
- Accessibility Training for Study Instruments and Final Products
- Best Practices for Community-based Participatory Research
- Critical Methodologies
- Equity Consideration for Scholars: Taking a Critical Approach to Research
- Methods for Cross-Cultural Research
- Seats at The Table: Implementing Diversity Initiatives for Research Teams
* Required core course
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.