400.4 Award Notification and Acceptance
Responsible Officer: Director
Responsible Unit: Award Management
Effective date: July 1, 2008
Last revised on: July 21, 2011
The terms and conditions of any award notification from a funding agency require review by the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) Award Management unit prior to OSR’s acceptance of the award on behalf of the University.
Principal Investigators (PIs) do not have the authority to accept awards. Awards to the University may be accepted only by the Chancellor or those he has delegated signatory authority. No other individuals are authorized to commit or otherwise bind the University.
In addition, OSR is responsible for negotiating appropriate remedies if an award:
- Contains provisions incompatible with University policy.
- Is inconsistent with Federal regulations regarding sponsored research at universities.
- Fails to include all elements agreed upon prior to the award.
- Requires modifications to conform to the PI’s needs.
Upon formal acceptance of an award, the University becomes legally bound to abide by the terms and conditions as set forth in the executed agreement. Following acceptance, OSR informs the PI and Department Administrator of the award notification, which is uploaded to the award module in RAMSeS to reference significant requirements and provide appropriate OSR contacts.
Project directors and PIs are responsible for conducting the sponsored effort in accordance with award terms and conditions and within the funds allocated for such effort.
Deans, directors, and department heads have corollary responsibility for assuring that all sponsored research and training conducted within their jurisdiction is consistent with University policy and available funds.
Reason for Policy
This policy establishes OSR as the designated division responsible for accepting, administrating, negotiating and managing sponsored awards on behalf of the University.
1. If the PI receives an award notification directly from an agency, he/she is required to notify OSR and forward the award notification to OSR Award Management for any required signatures and set-up. Likewise, if any award monies are received by the department or PI, they must be sent directly to OSR for deposit.
2. Industry awards or other awards with non-standard patent, copyright or licensing terms are reviewed in conjunction with the Office of Technology Development (OTD) or other appropriate University unit.
3. If the award is for less than the University-proposed amount, the amount may be prorated across budget categories to establish the award within the budget restraints. This can include a request to the department to prepare revisions to the budget.
Procedures and Related Policies
OSR Research Tool Kits
Questions and concerns can be submitted online atAsk OSR or by using the OSR staff directory. Within RAMSeS, the “Speak to Someone” option assists in locating the staff member best suited to address project-specific issues.
1. University of North Carolina Policy Manual, 500.4.4 and 500.4.6.
2. University Grants Processing Policy.
The policies in the Office of Sponsored Research Policies & Procedures Manual supersede any OSR policies, procedures and appendices previously included in the University Business Manual, a publication of UNC Chapel Hill’s Division of Finance.