Pro. 1 Obtaining Administrative Roles in RAMSeS
To manage administrative approval rights and data access concerning research activities maintained in RAMSeS, the Office of Information Systems (ORIS) created a portal named “Backbone” (formerly called Research Contacts). Each University department, center and institute has one or more designated Role Manager(s) responsible for creating, assigning, and managing administrative roles for their unit. More specifically, the Role Manager assigns the appropriate designations to departmental personnel based on their individual roles in research and also tracks departmental personnel changes as they occur. Once an employee has been authorized as a unit Role Manager, s/he is responsible for additional administrative assignments within Proposal Dashboard and Award Dashboard in RAMSeS, for example:
a. eIPF Approver
b. Project Financial Guarantee (PFG) Approver
c. Proposal Data Access
d. Award Data Access
e. Research Account Manager
ORIS provides Backbone Online Training for new Role Managers. As important “gate keepers” of sensitive information, Unit Role Managers are the most knowledgeable resources to consult with questions about Backbone.
The following procedure applies to appointing a new unit Role Manager and steps for working in Research Contacts.
- Complete the necessary authorization form, including the necessary signatures by the dean or departmental chair.
- Send the completed form to ORIS.
- Once approved, you are authorized to logon to the Backbone Portal using your ONYEN or School of Medicine Identification (SOMID).
- Select a department to view lists of individuals assigned to research roles within that department.
- To manage individual roles, use the drop down tool and select individuals to manage their roles. You can add or delete roles here.
- If a person is not listed, you may add that individual by clicking the “add contact” button and filling in the appropriate information.
- Once you have made the necessary changes, logout of Research Contacts.
- Revised 6/6/2011 to reflect the change from ‘Research Contacts’ to ‘Backbone’
- The policies in the Office of Sponsored Research Policies & Procedures Manual supersede any OSR policies, procedures and appendices previously included in the University Business Manual, a publication of UNC Chapel Hill’s Division of Finance.