SPIN Plus is a comprehensive database containing over 40,000 funding opportunities from more than 10,000 sponsors. All UNC users can access SPIN Plus through the campus network. Simply visit https://spin.infoedglobal.com from a campus computer. Register a profile to take advantage of SPIN Plus’s customization features or for off-campus and VPN access.
Pivot will be phased out by November 1, 2017. All UNC users should register for a SPIN Plus account and set up their search and email preferences before the Pivot phase-out is completed.
Pivot is a funding database covering an estimated $44 billion in funding opportunities. Researchers can use PivotTM to locate U.S. and international funding opportunities sponsored by federal and state agencies, corporations, foundations, and non-profit organizations and institutions. Researchers can also set up individual search preferences, track specific funding opportunities, and receive email notifications with updates and recommendations.
Grants.gov is the federal government’s hub for research funding support, connecting researchers to opportunities from across all federal agencies. Researchers can search for grants, connect with grant-making agencies, and learn more about policies specific to federal sponsorship.
Researchers can also visit the websites for individual federal agencies to learn more about their past and current grants opportunities. Resources available for researchers at UNC include
SPIN Plus includes funding opportunities from private, corporate, and foundation sponsors. Researchers may also consult the websites of individual foundations and organizations to see past and current funding opportunities, review funding trends, and to learn best practices for preparing grant applications.
Grantspace by the Foundation Center offers educational and training resources for researchers and administrators. The Grantsmanship Center maintains a list of the top giving foundations in the state of North Carolina. Both resources may be helpful for UNC researchers seeking private, corporate, and foundation sponsorship.
The Carolina Internal Funding Database is a curated list of funding opportunities for UNC faculty and staff, postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, and undergraduate students. In addition to internal funding opportunities at UNC, the Carolina Internal Funding Database also contains selected external funding opportunities and the campus departments who oversee their application processes.
Please note: deadlines may not be up-to-date, so please contact individual departments/offices for more information about the listed opportunities.
General Grant Proposal Resources
The Center for Faculty Excellence offers a limited number of grant programs, including a writing group program and workshops targeting different types of grant programs and/or funding agencies. Likewise, NC TraCS Institute provides various learning opportunities, including R-writing Groups. See below for additional general grant writing advice:
- Proposal Writing Tips from the UNC Writing Center
- Chronicle of Higher Education “What to Say-and Not Say-to Program Officers”
- The Proposal Writer’s Guide (University of Michigan)
- Proposal Writing Resources at Carolina’s Funding Information Portal
- HFSP – Art of Grantsmanship
- Debunking Some Myths About Grant Writing (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- On the Art of Writing Proposals (Social Science Research Council)
- Guide for Writing a Funding Proposal
NSF Grant Proposal Resources
- UNC ORD’s NSF Learning Community
- NSF’s A Guide for Proposal Writing
- NSF SBE Guidelines for Writing Grant Proposals
- NSF CAREER Proposal Writing Tips (Clark Univeristy)
- NSF CAREER Award: Writing Guide (UC Berkeley)
- NSF CBET CAREER Mock Review Panel
NIH Grant Proposal Resources
- NIH Grant Writing Tips
- NIAID Sample Applications
- NIH – Write Your Application
- HHMI – Getting Funded
- NC TraCS provides proposal development assistance for projects focused on translational and clinical sciences.
- CSR Insider’s Guide to Peer Review for Applicants
- Grant Review Process (NIH/CSR YouTube videos)
- NIH Extramural Nexus (blog and news updates)
Resources for other Federal Agencies
The UNC Libraries Research Hub maintains three locations on campus, each one providing spaces, technology, and expertise to assist UNC faculty, staff, postdocs, and students with all phases of research. Users can meet with libraries and specialists to develop new skills, share their research, and connect with colleagues and collaborators from across campus.
- The Davis Library Research Hub
- The Health Sciences Library Research Hub
- The Kenan Research Hub and Makerspace
Research and instructional assistance is available through the Davis Library. UNC researchers can get support with developing their research topics and locating appropriate sources. Research librarians provide support for specific disciplines and subareas, and are available for one-on-one consultations.
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research oversees offices that assist researchers with research and proposal development, pre- and post-awards management, compliance, human and animal research ethics, and more.
The Office of Sponsored Research maintains an Information Sheet with information for all people involved in research at the University. The sheet lists important contacts, facilities and administrative cost rates, and fringe benefits rates, alongside other frequently requested information.