Carolina is proud to have a rich, diverse and inclusive campus community. Carolina’s diversity includes race, gender, age, class, sexuality, culture, nationality, disability, religion, and region. As part of the Carolina community, the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is committed to addressing the needs of all postdocs.
The Minority Postdoc Alliance hopes to bring together underrepresented racial and ethnic postdoctoral scholars across disciplines to build valuable professional networks and to promote and support diversity and inclusiveness here at UNC Chapel Hill. To be informed of upcoming MPA events, please join the MPA listserv by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Subscribe to MPA listserv.”
In addition, the Office Postdoctoral Affairs partners with other campus units to support International postdoc scholars. One of our valued partners is the UNC Writing Center, which offers services to all non-native speakers of English across the university (undergraduates, graduates, postdocs, visiting scholars, faculty, and staff in all schools and centers). Writing Center services include:
- ESL Mini-courses, which are short, non-credit courses on academic grammar, research writing, pronunciation, & presentations.
- Workshops, including Grammar Q&A, Social English, Writing with Confidence, Conversation and Culture, Writing from Sources, Inter-Cultural Communication, and more.
- International Coffee Hour, presented by the Center for Global Initiatives. This monthly, informal get-together for international and American students and scholars and their families is held at the FedEx Global Education Center from 5:00-6:00. Visit our calendar for upcoming dates.
- Anyone interested in receiving regular information about upcoming ESL services, including new workshops and intensive ESL programs, can join our mailing list by sending an empty email to email@example.com
Additional campus and national resources that address diversity-related issues and are available to postdocs:
- Office of the Associate Provost for Diversity and Multicultural Affairs
- Equal Opportunity/ADA Office
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Center
- Carolina Women’s Center
- International Center for Students and Scholars
- UNC KASS (Korean Association of Students and Scholars)
- UNC Institute of African American Research
- NPA Diversity Officers
- NPA Diversity Resources–Fellowships
- NPA International Officers
- NPA’s International Postdoc Resources
- MentorNet- Diversity in Engineering and Science
- Minority Postdoc (a web portal for minority postdocs)