Health insurance benefits exist for all eligible postdocs. Eligible Postdocs must be classified as either a Postdoc Research Associate or a Postdoc Research Trainee and temporary full-time in the UNC Payroll system. Monthly health insurance premiums for individual postdocs (click here for Postdoc Rates – 2015-16) are covered by the institution (dept. or funding source), NOT by the postdoc. Postdocs are responsible for covering monthly premiums for spouses and children. The Postdoc Medical Insurance Plan is underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC). A waiver form must be signed if the postdoctoral scholar decides he/she does not want to enroll for health coverage benefits.
OPEN ENROLLMENT is held annually from July 1 – July 31. If a spouse and/or children are not currently insured under this plan, the Postdoc may add during the open-enrollment period. Dependents may only be added otherwise throughout the year with a qualifying life event (birth, death, job change, etc.). Please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs for more information.
If you have questions about your coverage, please use the following information:
PLEASE NOTE: Effective July 1, 2015- New rates for 2015-2016 Insurance Plan.
- Summary of Benefits
- Postdoc Rates – 2015-16 (starting July 1, 2015)
- UNC Postdoc Enrollment Packet 2015-2016 (FAQ, Summary of Benefits, Application, Waiver Form)
- Policy Termination Request form
- Campus Health Services Packet 2015-2016
COBRA: Postdoctoral Scholar COBRA Health Insurance
Postdoctoral scholars on the health insurance plan have the option to continue health insurance coverage through COBRA for 18 months following discontinuation or termination by paying the full costs of the monthly premium themselves. For more information on how to enroll in COBRA, please contact BCBSNC at 1-800-579-8022 or email@example.com.
Postdocs enjoy a financial advantage by using the Campus Health Services (CHS) as their first choice for primary medical care services. Spouses may visit Campus Health Services as well, but covered children must seek medical care with a provider outside of Campus Health Services. Extensive primary care and health education services are available at CHS, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. Please refer to the CHS website below for details: http://campushealth.unc.edu.
- If the Postdoc is referred outside of CHS, they will be responsible for a $300 policy year deductible and 20% co-insurance assuming they visit a preferred provider. If the Postdoc visits a non-preferred provider, they will be responsible for a $400 policy year deductible. Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC will then reimburse 70% Provider’s Reasonable Charge (PRC).
- There is a $10 co-pay for prescriptions filled at the Campus Health Services. If the cost of the drug is less than $10, the Postdoc will pay the lesser amount. For a list of drugs available at the CHS pharmacy, please access https://campushealth.unc.edu/services/pharmacy-services.
- If the Postdoc visits a retail pharmacy they should present the drug card to the pharmacist and pay a tiered copay.
- Postdocs must complete the enrollment forms and return the BCBSNC forms to the department manager or Human Resources (HR) facilitator in their department. The department manager or HR facilitator will mail the completed forms to BCBSNC. The address is PO Box 2073, Durham, NC 27702. The Postdoc should mail the completed campus health forms to Campus Health Services at James A. Taylor Building, CB 7470, Chapel Hill, NC 27599. Coverage begins on the first day of the month following the month of the Postdoc’s appointment effective date. If the Postdoc wishes to opt out of the plan, he/she must sign the waiver form and the HR Facilitator will submit it to BCBSNC.
- If a Postdoc wishes to enroll a spouse or dependent child, he/she must write a check payble to BCBSNC for the initial TWO months premium and attach it to the insurance application (which includes the premium rates). Future monthly premiums will be deducted from his/her paycheck.
- In order to be eligible for the Postdoc Medical Insurance Plan, the Postdoc must be coded as a postdoc trainee or postdoc research associate and on payroll at least 30 hours per week.
- BCBSNC will be notified of the Postdoc’s eligibility by UNC Payroll at the end of the month following the Postdoc’s appointment date. For example, if a Postdoc’s appointment date is December 1, BCBSNC will be notified of that Postdoc’s eligibility at the end of December. BCBSNC will then be paid for the month of January at that time. Therefore, it typically takes about 45 days from his/her appointment date for the Postdoc to receive an ID card.
- Questions about the UNC Postdoc Health Insurance or Dental Insurance Plan? Please contact BCBSNC 1-800-579-8022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Health Services
James A. Taylor Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
General information and Appointments: (919) 966-2281
Postdocs enjoy a financial advantage by using the Campus Health Services (CHS) as their first choice for primary medical care services. Spouses may visit Campus Health Services as well, but covered children must seek medical care with a provider outside of Campus Health Services. Extensive primary care and health education services are available at CHS, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. Please refer to the CHS website for details:
The BCBS plan provides 100% coverage for one comprehensive eye exam (in-network) per year.
Dental Insurance is a voluntary plan offered to all Postdocs. Postdocs can choose an individual plan, a plan for their children, or a plan for their entire family. The plan is administered by Hill, Chesson and Woody and is underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. To receive a free, no-obligation quote from Hill, Chesson and Woody visit the following website http://www.hillchesson.com/dental.html