Health insurance benefits exist for all eligible postdocs. Eligible Postdocs must be classified as rank code 27 or 28 and temporary full-time in the UNC Payroll system. Monthly health insurance premiums for individual postdocs (click here for 2013-2014 rates) are covered by the institution (dept. or funding source), NOT by the postdoc. Postdocs are responsible for covering monthly premiums for spouses and children. The Postdoc Medical Insurance Plan is administered by Hill, Chesson and Woody and is underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. A waiver form must be signed if the postdoctoral scholar decides he/she does not want to enroll for health coverage benefits.
Click here for a 10 minute video on UNC-CH postdoc insurance benefits
OPEN ENROLLMENT July 1-July 31: If a spouse and/ or children are not currently insured under this plan, the Postdoc may add them with an effective date of July 1, 2012, during the open-enrollment period.
PLEASE NOTE: Effective July 1, 2013- New rates for 2013-2014 Insurance Plan.
- 2013-2014 Summary of Benefits
- 2013-2014 monthly rates for Postdoc Plan (starting July 1, 2013)
- 2013-2014 Insurance Packet 2013-2014 (FAQ, Summary of Benefits, Application, Waiver Form)
- Policy Termination Request form
COBRA: Postdoctoral Scholar COBRA Health Insurance
Eligible postdoctoral scholars at UNC-Chapel Hill are offered health insurance coverage through BlueCross BlueShield https://www.bcbsnc.com/content/studentblue/uncch-pd/index.htm. Postdoctoral scholars on the health insurance plan have the option to continue health insurance coverage through COBRA for 18 months following discontinuation or termination by paying the full costs of the monthly premium themselves. For more information on how to enroll in COBRA, please contact Hill, Chesson, and Woody at (919) 967-5900 or email@example.com.
Postdocs enjoy a financial advantage by using the Campus Health Services (CHS) as their first choice for primary medical care services. Spouses may visit Campus Health Services as well, but covered children must seek medical care with a provider outside of Campus Health Services. Extensive primary care and health education services are available at CHS, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. Please refer to the CHS website below for details: http://campushealth.unc.edu.
- If the Postdoc is referred outside of CHS, they will be responsible for a $100 policy year deductible and 20% co-insurance assuming they visit a preferred provider. If the Postdoc visits a non-preferred provider, they will be responsible for a $200 policy year deductible. Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC will then reimburse 70% Provider’s Reasonable Charge (PRC).
- There is a $10 co-pay for prescriptions filled at the Campus Health Services. If the cost of the drug is less than $10, the Postdoc will pay the lesser amount. For a list of drugs available at the CHS pharmacy, please access campushealth.unc.edu/index.php or access the CHS website, click on medical services, followed by pharmacy, then “formulary.”
- If the Postdoc visits a retail pharmacy they should present the drug card to the pharmacist and pay a tiered copay.
Enrollment procedure: Download Enrollment Procedure (PDF)
- Postdocs must complete the enrollment forms and return them to the department manager or Human Resources (HR) facilitator in their department. The department manager or HR facilitator will mail the completed forms to Hill, Chesson and Woody. The address is PO Box 3617, Chapel Hill, NC 27515. Coverage begins on the first day of the month following the month of the Postdoc’s appointment effective date. If the Postdoc wishes to opt out of the plan, he/she must sign the waiver form and the HR Facilitator will mail one copy to UNC Payroll and one copy to Hill, Chesson and Woody.
- If a Postdoc wishes to enroll a spouse or dependent child, he/she must write a check payble to BCBSNC for the initial TWO months premium and attach it to the insurance application (which includes the premium rates). Future monthly premiums will be deducted from his/her paycheck.
- In order to be eligible for the Postdoc Medical Insurance Plan, the Postdoc must be coded 27 or 28, Temporary Full-Time with UNC Payroll.
- Hill, Chesson and Woody will be notified of the Postdoc’s eligibility by UNC Payroll at the end of the month following the Postdoc’s appointment date. For example, if a Postdoc’s appointment date is December 1, Hill, Chesson and Woody will be notified of that Postdoc’s eligibility at the end of December. Hill, Chesson and Woody will then be paid for the month of January at that time. Therefore, it typically takes about 45 days from his/her appointment date for the Postdoc to receive an ID card.
- Questions about the UNC Postdoc Health Insurance or Dental Insurance Plan? Please contact Hill, Chesson & Woody (919) 967-5900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Campus Health Services
James A. Taylor Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
General information and Appointments: (919) 966-2281
Postdocs enjoy a financial advantage by using the Campus Health Services (CHS) as their first choice for primary medical care services. Spouses may visit Campus Health Services as well, but covered children must seek medical care with a provider outside of Campus Health Services. Extensive primary care and health education services are available at CHS, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy services. Please refer to the CHS website for details:
Dental Insurance is a voluntary plan offered to all Postdocs. Postdocs can choose an individual plan, a plan for their children, or a plan for their entire family. The plan is administered by Hill, Chesson and Woody and is underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. To receive a free, no-obligation quote from Hill, Chesson and Woody visit the following website http://www.hillchesson.com/dental.html