Reporting Animal Welfare Concerns or Animal Protocol Noncompliance
There are several ways to report your concerns. Please choose one of the following:
- Contact the Office of Animal Care and Use (OACU) at (919) 966-5569 or firstname.lastname@example.org or send written correspondence to CB# 7193. Ask for the Training and Compliance Team or the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) Director, Tracy Heenan.
- Contact the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research at (919) 962-1319 (Animal Program Institutional Official).
- Contact the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Compliance, Robin Cyr, directly at (919) 962-8756 or Robin_Cyr@unc.edu.
- Contact the UNC-Chapel Hill Compliance Line 24/7 by phone at (866) 294-8688 (toll free and anonymous) or online at http://www.ethicspoint.com.
Provide the following information (other relevant information may also be helpful):
- Describe the incident.
- Indicate whether you witnessed the incident yourself.
- Indicate when the incident occurred (time and date).
- Identify in which animal facility or principal investigator laboratory this incident occurred (building name and room number and/or name of principal investigator).
- Indicate whether you have reported the incident to anyone else. If so, describe when it was reported and what action was taken.
- Provide the name, phone number, or e-mail of complainant (optional).
You may provide the information anonymously and, to the extent that it is possible, the university will preserve your anonymity. It is helpful for the IACUC to have as much information as possible in order to conduct a thorough investigation.
Federal regulations and North Carolina law provide protection for employees, IACUC members, or laboratory personnel against discrimination or other reprisals for reporting animal welfare concerns or non-compliance with approved protocols and/or federal regulations (i.e., whistleblower protection).Approved: September 2002 Revised September 2005, August 2007, January 2010, April 2011, September 2014, February 2016