UNC North Carolina Business Startups
At Carolina, the research, discoveries, and creative activity of our faculty and students translate into new businesses and jobs for North Carolina. A major force in the state’s economy, UNC–Chapel Hill drives economic prosperity by attracting the best and brightest minds to the University and providing an environment that inspires creativity and discovery. Carolina invests heavily to create a culture of entrepreneurship and a support network on campus that propels research and innovation into viable startup businesses. Today more than 300 UNC startup companies located in North Carolina provide jobs to over 8,000 state residents. These companies employ nearly 64,000 worldwide and bring $10 billion in revenue back to the state each year.
UNC Startup Stats
- There are 358 active startups connected with UNC-Chapel Hill. Of that total, 306 are headquartered across 16 North Carolina counties.
- UNC startups employ more than 8,000 people in North Carolina.
- 35 UNC startups manufacture products in North Carolina.
- Of the $10 billion in annual revenue generated by UNC startups, 99 percent is earned by Carolina startups headquartered in North Carolina.
- Out of all companies that got their start at the University, 75 percent are still active (358 out of 475).
Featured Startup: Bivarus, LLC
Bivarus was created in response to frustration among health-care professionals with current patient satisfaction tools and their lack of scientific precision and actionable findings. In response, the company has created a platform to generate precise findings around the quality of a patient’s experience with health care and to provide sound data for improving care.
UNC Research Startups Per Year 2000-2017
178 U.S. patents filed (includes provisional)
45 U.S. patents issued
53 companies started
8 companies started
$4 million license revenue received
*Statistics listed above for the UNC Office of Commercialization and Economic Development include business startups located in North Carolina, as well as out of state. Statistics subject to change until reported to Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) in June 2017. Statistics from previous years.