- Graduate and Postdoctoral Training Opportunities
- Overall Earned Doctoral Degree Ranking
- A Look at our Graduate Students and Postdoctorates
Graduate and Postdoctoral Training Opportunities
Research is a way of learning. Each year over 2000 graduate student research assistants engage in scholarly research and cutting-edge discovery. Carolina also involves its undergraduates in the adventures of scholarship and science. Indeed, student researchers contribute to many of our most exciting discoveries.
Chapel Hill ranked sixteenth nationwide in federal funding (obligations) for fellowships, traineeships, and training grants, providing clear evidence of the overall strength of its numerous graduate and postdoctoral programs.
Carolina also has an exceptionally strong program of postdoctoral training, with nearly 1,250 postdoctoral fellows continuing their research training on the Chapel Hill campus. According to the most current data available, Carolina is 10th among public universities in terms of numbers of postdoctoral fellows, who have been attracted to Chapel Hill because of its research strength.
(Source: National Science Foundation. Updated: 12/2016.)
Overall Earned Doctoral Degree Rankings
- UNC-Chapel Hill ranks twenty-second in total number of doctoral degrees awarded (535 total degrees in 2014)
- Additional rankings:
- third in doctorates awarded in the life sciences, 2014 (215 degrees)
- sixteenth in doctorates awarded in the humanities, 2014 (74 degrees)
(Source: National Science Foundation Science Resources Statistics Doctorate Recipients from United States Universities: 2014. Updated: 5/2016.)
A Look at our Graduate Students and Postdoctorates in Science, Engineering, and Health Fields
- 41 (out of 682 institutions surveyed) in total full-time graduate students in science, engineering and health fields, 2014.
(Source: National Science Foundation. Updated: 9/2016.)
Students Studying Abroad
- 22nd among doctoral/research institutions in number of students (1859) studying abroad (2013-14).
(Source: Institute of International Education Open Doors. Updated: 5/2016.)